- This event has passed.
Charity Fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Chattanooga
August 7, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pmFree
Virgola Chattanooga will be hosting a charity fundraiser benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Chattanooga.
Come out and enjoy some wine and support a good cause at the same time! 15% of all wine sales will go toward Big Brother Big Sisters of Greater Chattanooga.
The History of Big Brothers Big Sisters
In 1956, the Chattanooga community created a program to assist children in need. The Big Brother Movement began on January 27, 1956 when the Pastor’s Association, led by Sam Wiley, met in order to discuss the rise of juvenile delinquency due to an increase of fatherless homes.
The Big Brothers Association began when 50 male volunteers were matched to 50 boys with support from the Board President, Porter Warner, Jr., and the agency’s first Director, Irvin Jacob Richmond. The agency received its charter on January 3, 1957, and in May of 1958, the local chapter became the 34th national affiliate of Big Brothers of America. The Benwood Foundation helped finance the local chapter for the first two years of its existence. After proving its stability and usefulness, the Big Brothers Association then received funding by United Fund (United Way). Their first offices were located in the Siskin Building. In 1969, Porter Warner, Jr. led the fundraising drive to build our current facility located at 2015 Bailey Avenue.
Big Sisters was established four years later under the guidance of Stella Murphy. Miss Murphy’s brother was actively involved with the Big Brothers program, and she saw the same need for little girls within the community. Miss Murphy took her concerns to the Chattanooga Business Women’s Club who, along with the assistance of the Big Brothers Association, helped Big Sisters obtain its charter on May 10, 1961, making it the third such organization in the nation. In 1970, the local Big Brothers and Big Sisters merged, and Big Brothers of America and Big Sisters International merged in 1977. Before their 1977 merger, Big Sisters International was headquartered here in Chattanooga under the governance of their President and Chairman, Mildred Montague.